To join our forums, you must create an account and your account must be approved by a moderator. This helps keep our forums safe and private. If you already have an account, please click here to log in.
If you do not have an account yet and want to request one, please review the forum rules below and fill out this form.
Recovering Missionaries Forum Rules
- Forums are intended for people who identify themselves as missionaries or former missionaries or MKs (missionary kids).
- Assume most generously about people and allow them to define their own intentions and motivations.
- Be kind and respectful. No trolling, flaming, or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted. This includes language that attacks or belittles others based on ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, or beliefs.
- Leave up comments and posts. We recognize that you may change your mind about a post or a comment. However, do not delete comments or posts with comments underneath (“dirty deleting”) which erases the communication work other members have done. Deletion does not foster positive communication.
- Aim to be self-aware and be self-disciplined enough to bow out of the conversation. It is fine to have a debate or heated conversation, but recognize when it is no longer healthy to continue and exit graciously.
- Listen. We are a diverse group, and though we all share a history of missionary service, many of us have changed our values and beliefs. Do not assume that everyone shares your theology or lifestyle. Some people may have left faith entirely, and they are welcome here as well.
- Reflect and participate in leadership. If changes need to be made to the group’s guidelines or practices, we encourage you to take part in that process by nominating solutions. Contact the admins if you have specific problems with a post, a person, or a group norm or if you have an idea for improvement for the group as a whole.
- No spam. All automated messages or advertisements will be deleted. Pre-approve posts for fundraising.
- Feel free to share your self-promotional material (books, blogs, services etc.) in the context of the conversation. But if it appears that the ONLY thing you post is self-promotional material and that your purpose here is to grow your business/audience, your account will be frozen and possibly deleted.
- No pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.